Saturday, September 11, 2010

Brits n' Bobs

I can’t decide whether it is really cool or really awful that there are so many blogs out there that are similar to mine. It is cool because it proves that my idea was a good idea but it is annoying that lots of other people came up with it too. However, American expats in London and the greater UK aren’t the only ones blogging about their experiences. While googling around (yes, that is a word I use) I came across a blog that was just the opposite of the rest I had seen. This was an English gal writing from America. How fantastic! I have thoughts about her country, now lets see her thoughts on mine.

The blog is called Brits n’ Bobs, cute right?  She goes by the name Limey and hails from Surrey, which I happen to know isn’t too far outside London. As I have grown up fascinated by England she grew up fascinated by the US and so came here for university and stayed after marrying an American. She now calls Boston home (neato! as Boston is perhaps my favorite American city) though she spent a good few years in Oklahoma for school. With 57 true followers and lots of comments on all her posts I could almost be jealous, but I’m not because she totally deserves them. Her blog rocks.

One of the things I love about her blog is that she writes about her experiences and life in a way that is relatable to all expats as well as the general public. It isn’t just a blog for and about Britons in America or Americans in England. She makes her posts worthy of being read and appreciated by Australians in China and Egyptians in Brazil (okay, those are kinda out there but you see what I mean). There have been a number of entries with advice for people moving abroad and for those who have already found themselves in new territory. One such post, ‘Tips for New Expats’ has great advice, and links to further posts with tips from other commenters. There was also another great post; ‘The Expat Life is Not an Easy One’ , which I fully recognize as being important to me personally. Knowing that I want to move to England when life allows me, her comments on how to deal with homesickness, etc. are words I will live by. This makes me think about how I might address these topics in my blog. However consciously or unconsciously, I am already preparing myself for my future move across the pond, and have been doing so for a long time. Could make for an interesting post. Wow, two posts in and my direction may already be a changin.



That topic brings me to another post though that I was very interested in, ‘Expats Say “Dont Raise Your Family In Britain” . I don’t know how long I plan to live in England. It could be for only a few years or it could be for the rest of my life. I suppose it will depend on any large number of things. More than once I have thought about whether or not I would want to raise a family in the UK, or even just not in America. Forget about education and such, but would I want to have my kids grow up away from my family in LA? Limey opened the post up to comments as she loved her childhood in England but has no children of her own yet. I like that she openly asks for opinions, it makes her blog not only more informative but also more engaging. Who knew I would find so much to read and think about when I stumbled across her blog?

And that leaves with me a great deal to ponder, which you know will cut into my sleeping time. So good night good people and thanks for reading. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment